UV rays from the sun are helpful to a certain extent. However, the radiation is considered dangerous because the damage could easily and sneakily accumulate over the years. Prolonged exposure without ample protection could cause irreparable damage and ultimately, even skin cancer. Not all changes in your skin are signs of cancer. Consulting with a doctor is the key to early detection of skin cancer signs and the best source of prevention.
Here at Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates in Towson and Annapolis, MD, our dermatologist, Dr. Gerald Newman, offers skin cancer screenings and preventive measures to help keep cancer away.
Skin Cancer Types
Generally described as abnormal skin cell growth, the most common cause of skin cancer is exposure to the sun. However, it is necessary to point out that not all skin cancers could result from sun exposure.
Here are the three major kinds of skin cancer:
1. Basal cell carcinoma appears on areas exposed to the sun like the face or neck and can be seen as:
- Waxy or pearly bumps
- Chronic sores that are bleeding or scabbing
- Flesh or brown-colored flat scar-like lesions
2. Squamous cell carcinoma could be developed on the ears, hands, and face. Usually, dark-skinned individuals develop this type of skin cancer on unexposed areas of the body, and they show up as:
- Red, firm nodules
- Crusted, scaly-surfaced flat lesions
3. Melanoma is prominent on the soles, palms, toenails, or under the fingernails, and comes with signs like:
- Large brown spots with dark speckles
- A mole that changes its size, color, or feel, and/or bleeds
- Small lesions with irregular borders and could appear pink, white, blue, red, blue-black, or blue
- An itchy and burning sensation
- Painful lesions
- Dark lesions on the soles, toes, fingerprints, palms, mucous membranes around the nose, mouth, anus, or vagina
Skin Cancer Prevention Tips
Skin cancer can be both painful and dangerous. Since it would be almost impossible to get away from the sun’s rays, we need to take some preventive measures to help minimize the risk. What can you do?
- Try to keep out of the sun from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Minimize exposure to UV like those in tanning booths.
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses and broad-brimmed caps.
- Use SPF30 or higher for skin protection.
- Apply an ounce of sunscreen all over your body 30 minutes before going out and reapply every two hours.
- Make a habit of examining your body for irregularities regularly.
- Get a professional skin exam from either one of our offices in Annapolis or Towson, MD, at least once a year.
- See your dermatologist immediately when you spot signs of abnormal growth or skin coloration.
For Concerns or Questions About Skin Cancer, Contact Us
Schedule a consultation with your dermatologist here at Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates, Dr. Gerald Newman, by calling our Annapolis, MD, office at (410) 224-8001 or our Towson, MD, office at (410) 337-3770.
Unhappy with the look of your skin? Read on to learn how photo rejuvenation by way of Vbeam Laser Treatment can rejuvenate your look.
What exactly is Vbeam Laser Treatment?
The Vbeam Laser treatment is a cosmetic treatment performed by Dr. Gerald Newman at Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates to help treat broken blood vessels, dilated blood vessels, and redness of the face caused by rosacea or sun damage. It uses Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL) technology to deliver bursts of light that absorbed by the blood vessels.
Blood vessels absorb the Vbeam laser light, leaving the surrounding skin undamaged in just two or three treatments. Your Annapolis dermatologist also uses combined GentleLASE™ laser for pigmented spots, as well as unwanted photo facial spots.
Patients experience increased facial redness immediately. The redness usually fades over several hours and is mostly gone by the next day. Sometimes bruising does occur, but that also fades over the next week.
As a rule of thumb, after skin treatment, avoid sun exposure. For Vbeam Laser treatment, avoid direct sunlight for two weeks prior to and after treatment. Your dermatologist may also recommend receiving the treatment anytime between fall to spring so skin is not tanned.
It's preferable that you shower the night after your treatment but avoid scrubbing or exfoliating skin. It's still too sensitive after the treatment. When drying, gently pat your skin dry. You can also place a cold pack over the treated areas to help reduce redness, swelling, or discomfort.
Need a consultation? Call our Annapolis office today
For more information on Photo Rejuvenation, call your dermatologist. Dr. Gerald Newman of Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates in Annapolis, MD, can be contacted at (410) 224-8001 today!
Worried about wrinkles? They can be caused by aging, tobacco use, facial contractions, and sun exposure. Several wrinkle treatment options are available. Dermatologists have a surprising array of tools and techniques to help combat the signs of aging. Led by Dr. Gerald Newman, Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates (located in Annapolis, MD) offers state-of-the-art treatments for wrinkles. Read on to find out how we can help you.
1. BOTOX Injections: BOTOX is a prescription medicine that is injected into facial muscles and used to improve the look of wrinkles, fine lines, crow's feet, and smile lines. BOTOX is a quick procedure that requires no recovery or downtime. With BOTOX treatment, you can get real, noticeable results and still look like yourself.
2. Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers or injectables, such as Juvederm, Radiesse, and Sculptra can smooth wrinkles within the skin. Injectables are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to soften creases, smooth lines, restore lost volume, or enhance facial contours. The results usually last about 6 to 12 months.
3. Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive cosmetic treatment that gently exfoliates your skin to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. It will leave your skin as smooth as velvet and feeling refreshed. Microdermabrasion is a simple and quick procedure.
4. Chemical Peels: Chemical peels can provide skin health in a deeper fashion than facials. It is a resurfacing procedure in which a solution is applied to the skin that removes the upper layer. The skin that grows back after the procedure is smoother and less wrinkled in appearance. A chemical peel is a safe procedure when performed by a qualified and experienced doctor.
5. Photo Rejuvenation: Photo rejuvenation is a cosmetic treatment that uses photodynamic therapy, intense pulsed light, or lasers to treat skin problems such as fine lines, wrinkles, and spots. It is a quick procedure that involves no downtime, making it a convenient option for people with busy schedules.
If you want to eliminate facial wrinkles without surgery, call one of Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates's offices to schedule an appointment- (410) 337-3770- in Annapolis, MD; (410) 337-3770- Towson, MD. We offer many highly effective, non-surgical solutions to wrinkles and lines.
Botox is one of the most commonly requested minimally invasive cosmetic procedures requested by patients. It is an alternative to plastic surgery and provides lasting results. As a potential patient of Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates in Annapolis, MD, it’s reasonable that you may have a list of frequently asked questions about Botox. Here are some of the most common questions and the corresponding answers that can help give you peace of mind about this cosmetic treatment.
What Is Botox Composed Of?
Botox is a proprietary serum that is composed of a formulation called botulinum toxin. It is officially classified as a “neurotoxin,” and is used in many different applications, including dermatological treatments. The Botox serum releases neurotransmitters to the muscles in your face, causing them to stop contracting. In effect, the muscles “freeze” and visible lines on the face disappear.
How Is Botox Applied?
Botox is administered through a series of quick injections to certain locations on the face. For example, if the problem is lines in the forehead, the injection sites will be at various locations above the eyebrows or near your hairline. Botox can also be injected near the mouth, nose, and around the eyes in the case of crow’s feet and smile lines. A numbing solution may be applied to the face for your comfort—the procedure will only take a few minutes. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, over 1.5 million Botox injections are administered each year.
Is Botox a Long-Term Solution?
After a Botox treatment with your Annapolis, MD dermatologist, you can expect the results to last for 3-4 months. When you start to see the effects wear off, you can revisit the office for another treatment. With regular sessions, it is possible that the wrinkle-smoothing results will last longer, as the muscles are trained to relax. Compared to the risks involved with plastic surgery, Botox is a viable option for many patients who want a more youthful look in a short period of time.
Schedule a Botox Consultation
To see if Botox is right for you, schedule a consultation with Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates in Annapolis, MD. You may also learn about additional cosmetic facial treatments that can improve your appearance. Call the office at (410) 224-8001 today for an appointment with Dr. Gerald Newman.
Changes in your skin are inevitable as you grow older. Lines and wrinkles form as your skin become less elastic and you lose volume in your face. Fortunately, injectable dermal fillers can help you look younger! Available from dermatologist Dr. Gerald Newman's offices in Annapolis and Towson, MD, dermal fillers can rejuvenate your look and have you feeling great about yourself!
Youthful-looking skin in minutes
Not that long ago, plastic surgery was the only way to improve your appearance. Although surgery was (and still is) effective, it does involve a somewhat lengthy recovery period. Today, however, dermal fillers can transform your look in no time!
Injectable fillers are made of substances that are naturally found in your body, such as hyaluronic acid or calcium-based microspheres. Depending on the number of areas to be treated, your treatment may take as little as five minutes or as long as an hour.
Fillers offer impressive benefits
Depending on the type, dermal fillers can be used to:
- Soften the appearance of folds, lines, and wrinkles
- Smooth crow's feet
- Lift the corners of your mouth and decrease vertical lines around the lips
- Improve facial contours
- Firm your jowls
- Make undereye areas less puffy
- Add volume to your lips and cheeks
- Decrease the prominence of nasolabial fold lines (the lines extending from your nose to your mouth on either side of your face)
- Fill in acne scars and other shallow scars
- Minimize marionette lines that extend downward from the corners of your mouth
How long do dermal fillers last?
Fillers generally last 6 to 12 months, although scheduling regular follow-up treatments will help you maintain your youthful appearance.
Interested? Give us a call!
Restore your youthful appearance with dermal fillers! Schedule an appointment with Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery Associates of Annapolis and Bayside Laser and Skin Care Associates by calling (410) 224-8001 for the Annapolis, MD, office or (410) 337-2770 for the Towson office.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.